Shakespeare’s Work Analysis

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

Script Analysis on Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra Introduction Antony and Cleopatra is one of the great tragedies produced by William Shakespeare. The main setting of the play is the Roman Empire, and the plot is mainly based on the history of Octavius Caesar, Marc Anony and Cleopatra. This play starts after Octavius Caesar, Marc Antony and Lepidus become three rulers of the Roman Empire. Antony falls in love with the queen of Egypt—Cleopatra, and stays in Alexandria. In the play, the conflict between Antony and Octavius, Antony’s affection and reason, finally turns into an inevitable tragedy.
Antony dies, while Cleopatra commits suicide. This play not only depicts typical main characters such as Antony, Cleopatra and Octavia with strong personality and tragic fate, but also indicates universal themes throughout the whole plot. Themes such as struggle between one’s affection and reason, war and love, seduction and sexuality can be seen through the language. However, when applying Shakespeare’s play in young ESL learners, the adaptation of the language, plot and themes has to be considered cautiously in order to cater for young learner’s needs at both literacy and cognition level.
This essay is going to analyze how to adapt the script of Antony and Cleopatra from perspectives of theme, plot and character for S4-5 students. Challenges of script adaptation and relevant implication for L2 learners would be discussed later as well. Background It is essential to know the historical context and of the play before adapting the play. According to Eileen (2010), pupils need to acquire background knowledge of the text they read to assist their understanding. Indeed, Shakespeare’s primary source of the play is according to Plutarch’s famous tale of Antony and Cleopatra (Facciponti, 2001).
Cleopatra was the Queen who governed the whole Egypt around two thousand years ago. Antony, Octavius Caesar and Lepidus shaped the rulership of the entire Roman Empire after Antony’s defeating of Brutus and Cssius. Later, the Roman Empire confronted a threat from Pompey while Octavius Caesar and Lepidus endeavored to take control of it. According to Facciponti (2001), Mark Antony is known as a brave soldier, powerful speaker as well as a ladies man. Meanwhile, Antony planed a social intrigue to provoke Queen Cleopatra.
However, Cleopatra had her own plan to win over Antony. She set sail on the river Cydnus to meet Antony and seduced Antony. Being enchanted by Queen Cleopatra, Antony left his family and duties and departed for Alexandria. The conflict between Antony and Octavius Caesar became sharp due to Antony’s neglect on political duties. Antony’s marriage with Octavius Caesar’s sister Octavia could not heal the rift between Antony and Octavius Caesar but incensed Caesar because of Antony’s ignorance on Octavia.
Therefore he declared a battle on both Antony and Cleopatra. At last, Antony was defeated by Octavius Caesar, and killed himself to die with honor. Cleopatra committed a suicide in the end. According to Bevington (2005), since the play focuses on the romance of the main characters, most of the political events or wars displayed are historically true. Besides the historical background, Shakespeare’s language is another important element in script adaptation.
As Eileen (2010) stated, “Shakespeare’s language has often been cited as the main obstacle to comprehending his work; whilst this may hold true to a large extent, in the teaching of Shakespeare in the English as a Second Language (ESL) classroom”(P. 317). Obviously, language of the play has to be adapted based on needs the target learners. Similarly, In the drama production, the adaptation of the script has to consider needs and abilities of actors and audience. Target The target actors and audiences of my adapted play Antony and Cleopatra are S. 4-S. students approximately at the age of sixteen to eighteen years old. According to the CDC(2002), the learning objectives for the key stage 4 (S4-S5) students on literature in English require students to “understand and appreciate prescribed literary in the genres of drama”, “show appreciation of the language and style through which the comprehension of the thoughts and feelings are conveyed”, “increase awareness of human relationships and the interaction between the individual and society” and “appreciate different cultures” (P. 49. ) Therefore, Shakespeare’s Antony and
Cleopatra, which covers a variety of themes and abundant language within a context of Roman Empire and Egypt, is likely to fit the learning needs of S. 4-S. 5 students. The overall learning goal of the play Antony and Cleopatra for the target actors and audiences would be based on the deliberately chosen themes, plot and characters in the play. As stated by Logan (2006), the play Antony and Cleopatra provoke readers and viewers’ desire to explore the characters and plots in order to gain a clear understanding. This aspect will be discussed specifically in the following section. Language and theme
It is apparent that the main theme of the play Antony and Cleopatra is love. As Maguire (2004) said, Antony and Cleopatra is often considered a tragedy of love. On one hand, the theme of duty is central in this play. According to Shmoop (2010), the conflict between various duties Anony have to burden and his self desire presents the central tension of the play. On the other hand, friendship is also a vital theme in the play. It is obvious that Cleopatra frequently seek support from her servants and friends throughout the play. In contrast, Antony is defeated after his trustful officers desert him.

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#065

Shakespeare vs Dryden

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

We can see that both writers through their respective works have focused on the relationship between two prominent characters of the ancient world- Marc Antony, who was a Roman ruler and Cleopatra- who was considered the most beautiful woman in the world and who was also the queen of Egypt. John Dryden was impressed by Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra and hence was inspired to write a play of the same proportions based on the relationship of Marc Antony and Cleopatra. The subject and the theme of both plays are the same.
But one has to know that both are exemplary versions of a great story written by two of the most famous playwrights who have birthed an array of great literary works of their era. The following study gives a short summary of both the plays which is followed by a comparative study between both plays which is based on different parameters. The study is intended only to compare both the plays with each other and not to criticize the plays written by both writers. About William Shakespeare William Shakespeare was an English poet and playwright and arguable the greatest English writer that ever existed.
Shakespeare produced most of his known work between 1589 and 1613. His early plays were mainly comedies and histories, genres he raised to the peak of sophistication and artistry by the end of the 16th century. He then wrote mainly tragedies until about 1608, including Hamlet, King Lear, Othello, and Macbeth, considered some of the finest works in the English language. In his last phase, he wrote tragicomedies, also known as romances, and collaborated with other playwrights. Many of his plays were published in editions of varying quality and accuracy during his lifetime.
Shakespeare was a respected poet and playwright in his own day, but his reputation did not rise to its present heights until the 19th century. Almost all his works are considered of high value and is often studied, performed and reinterpreted based on different cultures and political contexts. Most playwrights of the period typically collaborated with others at some point, and literary critics agree that Shakespeare did the same, mostly early and late in his career. Shakespeare’s work has made a lasting impression on later theatre and literature.

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#065

What is the significance of this quote from Hamlet by Shakespeare:Though yet of Hamlet our dear…

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

What is the significance of this quote from Hamlet by Shakespeare: Though yet of Hamlet our dear brother’s death The memory be green, and that…
Topic: What is the significance of this quote from Hamlet by Shakespeare:Though yet of Hamlet our dear brother’s deathThe memory be green, and that it us befittedTo bear our hearts in grief and our whole…

The Best Academic Writing Company

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075

In William Shakespeare’s Macbeth, where does it show the weird sister telling Macbeth that he will…

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

In William Shakespeare’s Macbeth, where does it show the weird sister telling Macbeth that he will be the thane? I was just wondering where the…
Topic: In William Shakespeare’s Macbeth, where does it show the weird sister telling Macbeth that he will be the thane?I was just wondering where the weird sister tell Macbeth he will/can be thane. I’m…

The Best Academic Writing Company

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075

I have to write a fake letter to my head teacher on why I DISAGREE that Shakespeare SHOULDN’T be…

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

I have to write a fake letter to my head teacher on why I DISAGREE that Shakespeare SHOULDN’T be studied in school. Any ideas, guys??…
Topic: I have to write a fake letter to my head teacher on why I DISAGREE that Shakespeare SHOULDN’T be studied in school. Any ideas, guys?? I have to write a fake letter to my head teacher on why I…

The Best Academic Writing Company

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075

Shakespeare Essay

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

College essay writing serviceI need help with my essay it is about 4-5 pages, due tomorrow and the question of the essay to focus on is : comparing contrast between Juliet from Romeo and Juliet with Desdemona from Othello. FYI source only can come from the the play Romeo and Juliet and Othello play. Purchase the answer to view it.
At AdvancedUSWriters.com, we make your academic life easier. Don’t worry about poring through tones of academic materials in search of ideas for your paper. Assign your homework to one of our writers. We’ll write and deliver your assignment on time!

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075

Write about any Shakespeare‘s books

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

College essay writing serviceQuestion descriptioni want you to write about Shakespeare book or moives. It’s has to be in 4 or 5 pages(Except hamlet)At AdvancedUSWriters.com, we make your academic life easier. Don’t worry about poring through tones of academic materials in search of ideas for your paper. Assign your homework to one of our writers. We’ll write and deliver your assignment on time!

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075

  Read Hamlet at this link: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/     To earn full

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com


  Read Hamlet at this link: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/   To earn full credit for Part B, include the following:1. Highlight the specific reference/quotation on the page in yellow, and include Act, scene, and line number(s).2. For each reference, explain the importance of the imagery depicted. Demonstrate analysis. What does the quotation mean and how do you know, based on evidence from the play?  (1-2 sentences max)3. Include a minimum of 10 references from the story , covering each act of the play (two per act is ideal). All instructions are in the “2.8 additional instructions” screenshot.
IT’S FAST!
Once you place a custom order, our experts will start working on your paper in as little as 5 minutes. What’s more, we’ve never missed a single deadline! You never have to waste your precious time copying and pasting information from all over the web in order to write a paper ever again!
IT’S CHEAP!
As a student, you can’t afford to spend a whole lot of money to get your paper written by a pro. With us, you don’t have to! We offer custom papers from as little as $15.99 per page for a 14 days deadline to $24.99 for 8 hours deadline! Additionally, if you have an exceptionally large order, we offer 20% discount.
IT’S ORIGINAL!
Researching, sourcing, and writing each of our academic papers is done by a team of professional tutors according to your exact specifications. This long process provides you with absolute assurance that the work which you purchase from us has not been plagiarized.
IT’S PRIVATE!
We take your privacy very seriously. In this spirit, we retain absolutely no personal information regarding you once your project has been completed. Moreover, no customer payment information is available on our end since we use Paypal as our third-party payment processor.

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#065

We can work on Shakespeare Studies

FIND A SOLUTION  AT  AmericanWritingHelp.com

[embedded content]
Shakespeare Studies
Anyone who argues to know English or has studied English cannot authoritatively say so without the input of Shakespeare’s English. Shakespeare’s literary studies remain the most outstanding and informative way of structuring English sentences. Despite the fact that Shakespeare did not earn a degree in college, his contribution legacy remains influential to the whole world. Today, he is the most liked and widely quoted English language writer. His dramas, sonnets and diction offer a good foundation in English structure. Therefore, this essay will argue in support of the argument that “a degree in English without Shakespeare is like an M.D. without a course in anatomy.”
It is only in Shakespeare’s work that diction is evident and it this implies that those who earn a degree in English without reading his work cannot understand the element of diction. It amounts to total fraud when one can argue to know such structural elements without in-depth knowledge of Shakespeare’s works. Shakespeare portrayed structured writing in his poetry and prose work which has helped in the standardization of English grammar and at the same time invented new English words.  He was actually among the first English writers who gave the new writing a structure to follow. Furthermore, he would use different writing styles in his plays and poetry works. These styles and diction provide people with the best way of learning English and without such knowledge, one will automatically lack structural knowledge in English styles. Moreover, Shakespeare also used words with simple meanings and with elements of great art and such contribution has left a remarkable legacy for other writers to mimic. Besides, Shakespeare employs the use of metaphors in his English work and this serves as this brings forth the metaphoric knowledge to others. An example of this metaphor is: “…It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich Jewel in an Ethiope’s ear…” (Traversi, 2015).
Additionally, doing a degree without Shakespeare’s English lacks the grammar required. Shakespeare played an influential role in the standardization of English grammar. Shakespeare revived and re-emphasized the use of suffixes, an element which is important in grammar and was hardly used during his time. Therefore, anyone who studies English grammar without reading the work of Shakespeare will be blank in English structural sentences without suffixes. Furthermore, Shakespeare’s writing showcased the rules that would be used in future in the English language. Although some Shakespeare’s spelling of some English words have been changed and improved, his grammar remains remarkable update.
Shakespeare’s work also expanded the English vocabulary. It is recommendable to note that he invented thousands of words that are used today in writing and communication through expansion of suffixes as well as prefixes and making verbs from nouns and also adjectives from verbs. In this particular expansion, the English language was further shaped. He is also praised to have modernized English with different phrases that remain to be quoted until today. The new phrases of English that he coined are still used in English. One recognizable example is “Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?”. These contributions helped Shakespeare to become an influential literary symbol in English works. Besides the use of the influential diction elements in his work, his sonnets also provide influence in language because he often used similes, rhyme and iambic among others and he remains the first poetry writer to use this literary technique. In the Murder of Gonzago, an example of a simile is “the revenger ends up becoming like the criminal he seeks to punish” (Woods, 2016). Such kind of work influenced some poets who until today use these techniques. Poets like Keats always kept Shakespeare’s works next to him when writing to promote creativity.
Unlike before the works of Shakespeare, there is the use of similes as well as imagery. Shakespeare was well known for his contribution to similes and imagery. In similes and imagery, he brought the sense of using strong words to illustrate images. Besides, his simile works gave a comprehensive description of an exact moment. He was also a master of explaining many phenomena in few words. An example is “It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich Jewel in an Ethiope’s ear…” (Traversi, 2015). Even though a number of his words influenced the poets, his playful work had a remarkable impact on the English literary world. His work has enhanced understanding of the literary works that was never the case before. Using blank versus technique was one of the best techniques that Shakespeare used in his dramatic work. Shakespeare’s use of blank versus technique is evident in the poetry workshop and this has influenced some contemporary English writers such as Christopher Marlow. An example of the soliloquy is “The clock struck nine when I did send the nurse, in a half an hour she promised to return” (Traversi, 2015). Similarly, he used soliloquies that also stand to influence many English speakers and writers.
Thus, today, many writers employ the use of this technique to showcase the inner conflict of different characters. Shakespeare was the first English user who seemed to follow the rules of the ancient writers in explaining his tragedies. For example, his tragedy about Romeo and Juliet influenced and continued to impact the English language in the whole world. Almost everywhere, there is mimicry of Shakespeare’s words of thought. In a nutshell, he is still the most influential writer that many people admire and has shaped English structure in great depth.
Without Shakespeare’s works, many people would not be in a position to construct different sentences and use phrases such as “thus with a kiss I die” (Traversi, 2015). Also, without Shakespeare’s work, the use of the famous line such as ‘to thine own self be true”, from writer Hamlet would not have been adopted. Due to these facts, it is the reason why Shakespeare continues to be remembered in the whole world. The works of Shakespeare have shed light on varied sentence structures that are used in English writing and communication.
In conclusion, the contribution of Shakespeare through the use of various structural elements like the dramas, sonnets and diction placed him at a better position to influence others on the use of English. In particular, his literary plays have been referred many times than any other writer. The importance of Shakespeare makes the illustration that “A degree in English without Shakespeare is like an M.D. without a course in anatomy, a fact. Therefore, Shakespeare has shaped the culture of speaking English and will remain as a worldwide contributor in English writing speaking and writing.
References
Traversi, D. A. (2015). From an Approach to Shakespeare. In Romeo and Juliet (pp. 13-40). Routledge.
Woods, G. (2016). Hamlet: The play within the play.


Related
Is this question part of your Assignment?
Custom Written Work
Guaranteed on Time
Achieve the Grade You ordered

Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts

(USA, AUS, UK & CA  PhD. Writers)

>> CLICK HERE TO ORDER 100% ORIGINAL PAPERS FROM AmericanWritingHelp.com <<

#075